April 7, 2010

The Hurt Locker

It was busy and tiring last week as I moved into a new apartment and office work too went crazy. Starting pretty early AM and working until almost midnight burned all my fuel. The only piece of excitement was when I found the Academy Winner Movie in my DVD store.


Yes! The Hurt Locker.


I had no clue what was the meaning of the title. So my curious soul first searched its meaning and origination.


The Hurt Locker - the phrase originates from the Vietnam War era and means – “a place of extreme pain”.
Ahh! As the title made sense for a war movie I got ready to watch. Lights off, popcorn, soda, sounds and Play.


The 131 min intense portrayal of the soldiers disarming bombs in the heat of combat ended and I was still in my seat, with popcorn untouched and lights off. It left me thinking – Is all what they showed for real?? Or how is it humanely possible? The moment when the bomb disposal expert wears his special suit and walk towards the bomb is gripping and at the same time intimidating. The suspense throughout each operation is bloodcurdling. The realization of the courage of these soldiers is beyond ones wildest dreams. As fear and courage are brothers, so

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."

It’s not new to know a soldier’s life changes forever after the gruesome war. But every time the thought of it leaves me restless and puzzled about how do people attain such fortitude and valor. As the movie progresses it retains its intensity, tension and suspense. The movie excellently depicts the concept – “War is hell”.


I say – Dying is easier than being a soldier anyday.


5 comments:

Prachi said...

Beautiful Writing..Last line is so True!

Unknown said...

Thanks Prachi.
If you havent you should see this movie

Rishi said...

Nice write up...I guess after this one from your side, I should see the movie..heard a lot, but couldn't find time to watch it..

janjan said...

i'm such an outdated person..i haven't watch this movie and now i think I MUST.

Unknown said...

Hey Janjan...wow thanks so much for reading so many posts on my blog. I am feeling soooo happy :-)