A co-worker ready to roll off was asked to conduct some knowledge sharing sessions for the entire team in the last week. In the very first meeting, he said – “I did not sign up for this.”
Feeling off board for few minutes, the colleagues asked the reason and he said – “I do not feel comfortable sharing my knowledge. Its mine.” That said he hung up the call.
Is sharing that difficult? Is knowledge limited to an individual?
Our minds capabilities are immeasurable. However, if we exhaust all our energy keeping it close and safe from opening up for others, it would be rusted. School always taught us - Sharing knowledge helps gain more and learning is a life long process. Is it so easy to forget all good things we learned as we grow up?
The one thing that took me aback in this story was the thought of an individual having absolute knowledge. I tried to get into his shoes and understand the perspective, but unfortunately could not. Calling the knowledge “mine” sounds quite disappointing and insecure. No knowledge is absolute. Its all relative. Sharing it doesn't take it away from you. And there is always to learn something in return.
So there are three kinds of givers -- the flint, the sponge and the honeycomb. To get anything out of a flint you must hammer it. And then you get only chips and sparks. To get water out of a sponge you must squeeze it, and the more you use pressure, the more you will get. But the honeycomb just overflows with its own sweetness. Which kind of giver would you want to be?

4 comments:
this is so true. some people tend to hoard knowledge like it's a gold or somehting. it is in giving that that you gain more. :)
I wish people understand the importance of knowledge sharing.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a lovely comment.
That's what I don't understand about other people. How hard is sharing your knowledge? I used to have a coworker like that (in my old job). I was a trainee then and when I ask her something, she'd just smile and say, "You'll figure it out." She was not a bad person at all but I still don't get why she wont just tell me what to do and save ourselves some time.
Oh, and I think I'm a honeycomb. Which is not a good thing most of the time. Hehe.
Hi Gnetch,
B a honeycomb always :)
Thanks for stopping by making it happier day for me with your comment. It feels great.
Post a Comment